Thursday, August 24, 2006

Hee Haw R2

I went to an auction last summer where they were selling off all of the old sets and props from the Hee Haw TV series that ran back in the 70's and 80's. I stumbled upon this. I assume they did a Star Wars sketch or two back in the day. I should have bought it, but I didn't stick around long enough.

More frame swap pictures

Here is the second and third group of pictures of the process.

Getting down to the finish line for DragonCon!

Sunday, August 13, 2006


Looks like most of the major electrical hurdles are behind me. I've got all of the new connections wired up including:

- barrier strip for power distribution
- a new automotive blade/type fuse block with circuit breakers
- both Vantecs
- modular disconnect for the right leg battery and motor cables (left to come next)so I can remove the legs easier. This is hidden from view in the void inside the leg-to-body hub.
- separate main power switches for 24V and 12V rails
- a DPDT momentary switch for manual control of the shoulder motors
- sound board and speakers
- regulator board to output 5V for the Futaba receiver and 7.5V for the speaker amp
- the whole harness is labeled so I can remember where everything goes if I ever have to take it apart again. I had it mostly labeled from the first build, and this REALLY helped.

Next will be installing the modular disconnects for dome power.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

More frame swap progress

Got all of the resin details on the outer feet replaced with painted aluminum ones: 4x ankle details, 2x cylinder wedges, 2x cylinder holders, 2x half moons. Had to Krider Blue paint the ankle details and cylinder wedges. Also cut keyholes for the booster covers so they fit nice and tight now. Got the legs on and tested the new shoulder motors with brakes.

Tonight I drill and tap holes for mounting the wedges to the cylinders for the center foot. The cylinders I have are older and were not pre-drilled for wedges.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Ordered more scooter belts

Found a source on eBay for exact match replacement belts for the scooter motor drives. I ordered 4 at $7.50 each. That will give me 2 for R5 and 2 spares.

Frame swap underway

OK, I started out Sunday with one completely working R2 unit and a
separate pile of parts and a half-way finished dome and frame for a
second droid.

Here it is Tuesday and I now have two big piles of parts and domes
and frames and no working R2..

I'm committed now. I've gone beyond the point of turning back. Now
I HAVE to get it all back together before DragonCon. That gives me
about 3 weeks.


But hey, R2 will be sweet with the new JAG frame. And R5 will be
light and fast with his A&A frame.

Wish me luck.

Here is the first group of pictures of the process.